Monday, June 8, 2020

FEAST ON GOD'S WORD

by Idaline Prince

18 Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.

19 I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me.
20 My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times.
21 You rebuke the arrogant, who are accursed, those who stray from your commands.
22 Remove from me their scorn and contempt, for I keep your statutes.
23 Though rulers sit together and slander me, your servant will meditate on your decrees.
24 Your statutes are my delight;they are my counselors.

Psalm 119:18-24

Below is a five course approach to feasting on God’s word involving your entire being:
  • Receive the Word with your ears: Often we put off our auditory senses just for the reason that the sermon is from a familiar passage or being judgmental on the speaker. Commit yourself to go to church and listen to God’s Word being preached. Media has plentiful resources too. 
  • Read the Word with your eyes: When you have listened to a particular sermon, it provides a motivation to read that particular passage for yourself. Picking up the Bible to read on a regular basis is commendable. 
  • Research the Word with your hands and mouth: When studying the Word of God, keep a pencil in your hand. Write down what God teaches. Talk about what you’re discovering with other believers in a small-group environment.  
  • Reflect on the Word with your mind: Think about and chew on God’s Word, as a hurried reading does not help much. Meditating, reflecting, pondering over the few verses which caught your attention will motivate implementing the Word.  
  • Remember the Word with your heart: When you have heard, read, spoken, reflected on the scriptures, the lessons continue to linger and are deeply impressed on your heart. You’ll rarely have a Bible with you when you need it. Commit God’s Word to memory.

1 comment: